How To Prepare Your Arenas and Stalls Now
Tips to Prepare your Stalls & Arena for Winter
1. Determine your problem areas - where did rain collect the most last year? Figure out where you need to add more sand or rearrange mats to keep the area dry. Dig trenches in the problem areas and line with rock. Figure out if a retaining wall will help.
2. Order your sand, base rock and base fines now and schedule delivery. Mention this blog post and get 5% off!
3. Check your gutters and clean them out so water can't accumulate and has somewhere to go.
4. Place rubber mats at entryways to avoid slippery surfaces and decrease risk for falls.
5. Check your barn and stall windows and doors - are they waterproof? Do they need repair or additional weatherproofing?
6. Add mulch to your stalls for extra traction and easier muck removal.
7. Keep your tack dry. But if it does get wet, here are some tips on how to deal with wet tack.
8. Inspect your roof - it's much easier to get this done in good weather and you can find out if any areas need to be repaired or replaced.
9. Check your fence lines - walk the lines and make sure any posts are stable and strong enough to withstand upcoming storms.
10. Stock up on hay, feed, medications, and other necessary supplies, just in case you can't get out during bad weather.
Following these tips will have you and your horse ready for the winter.